Friday, April 3, 2009

Great Ocean Road - The most beautiful coastline in the world.....

Witness the video of the most beautiful coastline on earth from this great helicopter ride.
Extremely beautiful and breathtaking views

The Great Ocean Road is a 243 km stretch of road along the south-eastern coast of Australia between the Victorian cities of Torquay and Warrnambool. The road was constructed to provide work for returning soldiers and dedicated as a Memorial to those killed in the First World War. It is one of Australia's great scenic coastline drives. The Great Ocean Road starts a and travels westward to the outskirts of . The road forms about 90% of B100 (previously designated as State Route 100), the remaining 10% known as the Surfcoast Highway which joins Geelong to TorquayThe Great Ocean Road was built by 3000 returned servicemen (or "Diggers") as a war memorial for fellow servicemen who had been killed in the First World War. The idea for the road was suggested as far back as 1864. Surveying began in 1918 and construction took place between 1919 and 1932.Parts of the Great Ocean Road run around steep coastal mountains. These were the trickiest and the final sections to be built. In 1922 the section from Eastern View to Lorne was completed. In 1932 the section from Lorne to Apollo Bay was finished, thus completing the entire road.